Sometimes you just need to mix up your New Year’s Eve routine…
Fun things to do in Columbus, Ohio over the New Year’s holiday:
- Get over it. (‘it’ being your Christmas oranges going in the border guard’s garbage because you failed to eat or peel them before leaving Canada)
- Beat the line-up at the Angola Subway.
- Drive through crappy Pennsylvania weather to get there.
- Eat a vegan hotdog with a side of broccoli and a local beer at Dirty Frank’s.
- Play Centipede at 16-Bit Bar+Arcade.
- Order the “good” bourbon from room service. (and don’t look at the bill)
- Watch the end and then the beginning of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
- Consume the Vegan Club from Hadley’s Bar + Kitchen.
- Visit the Columbus Museum of Art. Special mentions: the Beyond Impressionism exhibition, the Laura Park comics residency, the Lego model of Columbus, the charming staff, and the toddler who really wanted a hands-on encounter with the massive Chihuly piece on the second floor.
- Have the sweet restaurant host find you a table.
- Reach a consensus that Nazis are way worse than nu metal.
- Forget to order the vegan brownie. (okay, maybe not so fun)
- Refuse to believe Express Live‘s bag policy but work things out with the kind staff.
- Ask the bartender to take a Canadian dollar instead of 50 cents US.
- Find out you’re standing beside two other Hamiltonians.
ROCK OUT to The Obsessed, Devin Townsend Project and Clutch!!!
- Snag a cab immediately.
- Forget to check out the Arnold Schwarzenegger statue before leaving town.
- Discover that sometimes winter driving in Ohio weather is as sh*tty as it is in Pennsylvania.
- Do all of the above with two of the most awesome people.
Happy new year!
(p.s.: Is there a war on tea in Ohio?)